[personal profile] cosmolinguist
I really didn't want to go to the swing dance class tonight. I wanted to go to sleep. I was exhausted by 5pm, after a busy and sometimes stressful day where a sinus infection continues to lurk just under the level where I can't function.

But [personal profile] diffrentcolours and Em J were expecting me. Em J and I did that thing where maybe neither of us would've gone on our own but we both managed it together. We make a good team.

And of course I'm glad I went. I came home sweaty as anything and with a twisted ankle that's still really sore, but I still loved it.

The dances today were new to everybody, so I didn't have to feel self-conscious about not ever having been to such a class before, and the first was a solo jazz dance anyway so I could fuck up to my heart's content (which is apparently a lot!) without having to worry about ruining anything for another person.

That dance was called the shim-sham, and it was a highly choreographed thing where it was as difficult to keep the steps in my head as it was to do them with my feet. All except the first one, the drag, which happened to have exactly the pattern I knew from paradiddles, the one drum thing I know (one time, about nine years ago, when I had been crying about something, Stuart gave me a drum lesson to cheer me up and it was the best thing...so that's how I know about paradiddles). It's maybe not the absolute best hobby for a visually impaired person -- it was tough to see what I was supposed to do some of the time -- but I mostly got by.

The second dance was "boogie woogie," a bouncier version of the lindy it seemed. I liked the bounce but I was so tired by this time that my lack of fitness was really a problem: my brain picked up the steps really easily here, but the messages it sent to my legs just were not getting through. This is where I twisted my ankle, and I think it was partly due to lack of coordination from being so tired. So I sat out the rest of that dance, which was totally fine too. I felt a bit sheepish for being so out of shape and I was sad I didn't learn the fancy break that everyone else did, but I liked that it was totally okay to just sit and watch too.

Tomorrow I've got to get up very early and go to a seminar for homework I didn't even look at this week, but no regrets!

(no subject)

Date: 2019-02-22 05:35 am (UTC)
alatefeline: Painting of a cat asleep on a book. (Default)
From: [personal profile] alatefeline
💜

(no subject)

Date: 2019-02-22 03:11 pm (UTC)
silveradept: A kodama with a trombone. The trombone is playing music, even though it is held in a rest position (Default)
From: [personal profile] silveradept
Hooray for dancing.

(no subject)

Date: 2019-02-22 05:11 pm (UTC)
alithea: Artwork of Francine from Strangers in Paradise, top half only with hair and scarf blowing in the wind (Default)
From: [personal profile] alithea
Yay for dancing! Glad you enjoyed it, especially as you'd had to force yourself to go

(no subject)

Date: 2019-02-23 12:11 am (UTC)
jesse_the_k: Baby wearing black glasses bigger than head (eyeglasses baby)
From: [personal profile] jesse_the_k
Title card on the video says "Erin Stevens." That looks like a ton of fun.

Profile

the cosmolinguist

August 2026

S M T W T F S
       1
2 3 45 6 78
9 10 11 12 13 1415
16 171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags